Last Updated: January 8, 2015
The Information Dato Collects:
- User-provided Information: When you register for an account for the Service or at any later time, you may provide to Dato what is generally known as “personally identifiable information” (such as your name, password, and email address). Since Dato uses third party authentication services (each, an “Authentication Service”) for account registration and credentialing purposes, you may also be required to provide your Google ID, Github ID, or your username/ID for an Authentication Service accepted by Dato. The Authentication Service may also ask you for your password for your account with that Authentication Service, in which case any password you provide will not be collected or stored by Dato. If you choose to provide any of the foregoing information, during registration or otherwise, you are giving Dato the permission to use and store it consistent with this policy.
- “Automatically Collected” Information: When you access or use the Site or any other part of Service, Dato’s servers may automatically record certain information from your browser by using different types of technology, including standard log files, “clear gifs” or “web beacons.” These “server logs” may include your Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, operating system type, internet service provider (ISP), referring or exit pages, click stream data, operating system and the dates and times that you visit the Site. Additionally, Dato may record certain information regarding your use of the Services, such as information regarding the services or features you have used, the duration for which you used those services or features, etc.
- Third party analytics services: Dato may use third party analytics services, such as Google Analytics, which may collect certain types of information in connection with your use of the Service. However, these third party analytics services do not provide Dato with any personally identifiable information about you.
- Your communications: When you send email or other communications to Dato, Dato may retain that email or other communications and collect information associated with that email or other communications such as the content, date and time of these messages.
The Way Dato Uses Information:
- Dato generally uses the information you provide or that we collect to operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features and services found on or through the Site. Dato may use information that you provide or that it collects from Users to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our Users, to improve the way the Service works and looks, and to create new features and functionality.
- Dato may use “cookies” information to: (a) remember your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Site; and (b) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed, information about users interested in a program, feature, or function, etc.
- Dato’s employees, agents and contractors must have a legitimate business reason to obtain access to the personally identifiable information you may provide or that Dato collects. Dato may share your personally identifiable information with companies that provide services to it, including outside contractors or agents who help manage its information activities, but they may only use your personally identifiable information to provide Dato with a specific service and not for any other purpose.
When Dato Discloses Information:
- Dato may disclose automatically collected and other aggregate non-personally identifiable information to its affiliates or third parties in order to assist these parties in understanding the usage, viewing, and demographic patterns for certain programs, content, services, features, or functionality available on or through the Site.
- In order to provide you with certain features of the Service, Dato may share aggregate non-personally identifiable information with third parties providers of services such as Google Analytics, Google Mail, Google Docs, Amazon Web Services, and Github.
- Dato may, now or in the future, enable you to share your User Content with other Users or to post your comments on certain parts of the Site. If you share your User Content or comments with other Users in this manner, any personally identifiable information that you choose to include in, or that is associated with, those comments will be accessible by the other Users. Once you make your personally identifiable information available to others in any of these ways, it may be collected and used by the recipients without restriction. Therefore, Dato strongly recommends that you think carefully about what you post to or through the Site.
- Dato may also disclose your personally identifiable information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. Copyright law) or respond to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena, or warrant. In some cases, Dato may make these disclosures without first providing notice to you.
- Dato also reserves the right to disclose User information that it believes, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to take precautions against liability; to protect Dato from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses; to investigate and defend itself against any third-party claims or allegations; to assist government enforcement agencies; to protect the security or integrity of the Site; or to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Dato, its Users, or others.
- In the event that Dato is acquired by or merged with a third-party entity, it reserves the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information that it has collected from its Users as part of that merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control.
You may, of course, decline to share your personally identifiable information with Dato, in which case Dato will not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality found on or through the Site. Dato may retain all information you submit for a variety of purposes, including backups and archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, and analytics. However, please note that Dato will not use or transfer your personally identifiable information in ways unrelated to the ones described above without also providing you with an opportunity to opt out of these unrelated uses.
Links to Other Sites:
Dato does not knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information on the Site from persons under 13 years-of-age. If Dato learns that personally identifiable information of persons less than 13-years-of-age has been collected through the Site, then Dato will take the appropriate steps to delete this information.
Our Commitment to Data Security:
We use certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards and systems to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We periodically audit these safeguards and systems to ensure that they work as intended and that we are able to respond quickly to a security breach. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Dato, and you do so at your own risk. We cannot guarantee that your information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
If we learn of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. We may post a notice on the Site if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
The Site may be accessed and/or used by Users located outside the United. If you choose to use the Site from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you are transferring your personally identifiable information outside of those regions to the United States and by providing your personally identifiable information on or through the Site you consent to that transfer.